Friday 12 August 2016

As I type this I am currently drinking a flat white at Costa in Porto airport. If I could have something else then I would! I shouldn't grumble though; its that spread of brands and tourism that has built this really modern airport with its useful Tourist Information staff that managed to decipher my broken Spanish and clarified which bus I need to get.

A funny thing happened today. As we landed at Porto, there was a sigh of relief from a number of passengers followed by clapping and cheering. This really baffles me. Why do people think it perfectly acceptable to applaud someone for doing something they have trained years to do and actually get paid for? I would have understood if it was a day release prisoner flying the plane or a work experience student. But as the image of these two groups flying a plane is utterly farcical (even by Ryan Air's standards) I can't see why such an act warranted applause.

Don't get me wrong, when people do a good job they should have this acknowledged. Indeed, praise to blame ratio should be 3:1. Sir Alex Ferguson said that in order to motivate others the power of a good well done can move mountains. One of my mentors thought exactly the same and I employ this strategy with my students. But say I went to a Michelin starred restaurant and paid through the nose for beautiful food, I wouldn't then applaud the chef at the end. An electrician rewires your house and charges you. Do you pop the bow tie on and recite Nessum Dorma?

Is the applause a cultural thing? A class thing? A nationality thing? This blog post has finished. I'll take my seat for applause.

No comments:

Post a Comment