Thursday 14 August 2014

A food post

Friends will be aware of my developing love of food. I suppose to look at me you would think I enjoy my food-you would be correct! But in the past 3 years or so I have really begun to hone my skills and  reflect on  my food philosophy. For me, cooking from scratch is essential, and I look for new techniques and ingredients to use, as well as picking up ideas from the plethora of food programmes on the TV.

Now, I happen to think that Rick Stein is a bit over the top. He not only provides you with a recipe but a rolling commentary of the history and context of the area he visits as well as an almost poetic delivery of his thoughts on food and life in general. Whilst I do not always appreciate this (show us the cooking, Rick!) I have really enjoyed his series on Spain from a few years ago. I recall the joy he had in his voice when he explained the process of creating pimenton.

He visited Santiago de Compostela in Northern Spain as part of the trip and, as I will be visiting this particular area of Spain shortly, I watched with great interest. You can view the clip here. Pay special attention to how they cook cockles in the market!

This blog is an introduction to a series of posts I intend to complete over the next two or so weeks about the food I shall be tasting and the cooking I shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment